Why should you be prepared?
Being prepared can reduce fear, anxiety, and losses that can happen in any disasters. Communities, families, and individuals should know what to do in the event of a fire and where to seek shelter during a tornado or hurricane. You should be ready and have a plan in case you need to evacuate your home and take refuge in public shelters and know how to care for your basic medical needs.
What if your loved one is being supported in Assisted Living or Memory Care, do you need to prepare?
The short answer is yes. The Community should be planning for disasters, and it is important that you know and understand their preparedness plan to ensure your loved one will be kept safe.
Planning: At New Haven, we understand that planning for natural disasters involves thoughtful year-round planning in order to be prepared to respond and support residents during a disaster. New Haven’s primary goal during any natural disaster is to ensure ongoing safety of our residents while striving to maintain a high quality of care and services. New Haven has a multiple-day supply of prescription medications, medical supplies, food and drinking water to ensure continuity of care and residents can continue with little or no interruption.
Communication: We understand during a natural disaster nothing could be worse than losing communication with a loved one. New Haven Assisted Living and Memory Care uses an automated message service to keep families updated on any information that may affect their loved one. Our messaging service provides families a peace of mind and informed of important information and developments during a natural disaster.
What are some ways you can prepare at home?
- Know your Risk
- Make an Emergency Plan
- Know your Evacuation Zone
- Recognize Warnings and Alerts ( Download the FEMA app and receive real-time alerts from the National Weather Service for up to five locations nationwide. Sign up for community alerts in your area and be aware of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA)- which requires no-sign up)
- Review and Secure Important Documents and Make sure they are up to date
- Stay Informed and follow recommendations for Evacuation
Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
- Soap, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes to disinfect surfaces
- Prescription Medications
- Non-prescription medications such as pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids or laxatives
- Prescription eyeglasses and contact lens solution
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Cash or traveler’s checks
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing appropriate for your climate and sturdy shoes
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
New Haven continues to focus not just on safety but on maintaining community style living that is vibrant for our residents by providing daily opportunities for social engagement, exercise, and an enhanced dining program. New Haven provides a wide range of benefits from 24/7 care to having the ability to interact with people daily and having a social life. New Haven Memory Care serves seniors with Dementia, offering specialized memory care programs where we have seen significant benefits from our residents being able to engage and socialize versus the alternative; being at home alone, isolated and safety at risk during a natural disaster.
Contact us today with your questions or to discuss our wide range of care options.
Schedule a tour at https://calendly.com/newhavenassistedliving and Follow us on