COVID-19 Update Assisted Living Facility rule changes issued by Texas Health and Human Services effective March 24,2021. Since New Haven has conducted the COVID-19 vaccine clinics in all 11 of our facilities, we are able to expand our visitation regardless of all residents receiving the vaccine or not.
Essential Caregiver (EC) Visitation
- COVID-19 testing is no longer required but will continue screening and documentation of donning and doffing of all PPE, hand hygiene, covering cough and sneeze appropriately prior to becoming an EC.
- Visits are allowed for all residents, including residents who are COVID-19 positive and whom have or have not received the vaccine.
- Staff no longer escort to and from the visitation area or the resident’s room.
- Time frames for visiting are no longer specified but EC must schedule visit to allow time between EC and non-essential caregiver visits for cleaning and disinfecting. EC must sign in with name, date, phone number, time of arrival and departure and resident being visited.
- EC must wear a face mask during entire visit and encourage resident to do so if tolerated. EC may not remove mask for any reason so EC may not eat with resident.
- EC may sit with resident in dining room or other areas of the facility but maintain 6ft social distancing from all other residents and staff.
Non-Essential Caregiver Visitation
- These visitors do not have to complete the donning and doffing of PPE documentation.
- May only visit a resident with COVID-19 negative status.
- Must schedule visits with documentation the same as an EC.
- No specified visit length, though we will limit to allow ample time between visits for cleaning and disinfecting.
- No more than three visitors at a time in resident’s room to maintain 6ft social distancing though resident may choose to have close or personal contact with their visitor.
- Visitor may only visit resident in resident’s room or on the patio.
- Visitor must wear face mask at all times. Visitor may not remove mask to eat or drink.
- Children must wear face mask at all times, if unable then child will not be allowed in the facility.
- The definition of end-of-life is expanded to include residents who are near the end of life, receiving hospice services, or whose prognosis does not indicate recovery.
If an ALF has offered the COVID-19 vaccine to residents and staff:
- A plexiglass barrier or booth is no longer required for indoor visitation.
- A resident may choose to have close or personal contact with their visitor.
- Two essential caregivers may visit a resident at the same time.
Communal dining and social activities are allowed, but residents must maintain 6ft social distancing.
Resident’s rooms and/or commons areas must be disinfected in between visits by facility staff.
Effective 4/14/21-Residents that have gone overnight no longer have to quarantine upon return to the facility if the resident DID NOT have prolonged Close Contact with someone with a COVID-19 infection.
ALL VISITOR AND ESSENTIAL CAREGIVER VISITS MAY BE CANCELED IF THE VISITOR FAILS TO COMPLY WITH FACILITY POLICIES.
If resident has not had the COVID-19 vaccine or has refused, resident or POA will be required to read and sign the Vaccine Benefits Acknowledgement form with the Administrator or Wellness Director present prior to scheduled family visit. Per Health and Human Services our facility must offer the vaccine. “Offer” means to administer, arrange, or give information about the COVID-19 vaccine. Currently our facility is not administering the vaccine but hope to have the ability to do so in the future.
New Haven continues to excel in all 10 of their communities by identifying different ways to keep current and future residents safe from exposure to COVID-19. The New Haven team understands families still have concerns about placing their loved one in senior living, and their ongoing commitment is to provide high-quality care in an environment that is safe for seniors. Stay up to date on our COVID guidelines https://newhavenassistedliving.com/ or visit our Facebook page for more details https://www.facebook.com/newhavenassistedlivingandmemorycare
About New Haven Assisted Living & Memory Care – New Haven Assisted Living & Memory Care is a luxury assisted living and memory care residence with 10 locations across Texas. New Haven invites residents to enjoy days filled with relaxation and ease of living, along with the finest in accommodations and senior care in a boutique-style setting.