Music can bring back some of our fondest memories. Those memories can take us to another time and place where we can experience a wide range of emotions, first dances and first losses. For people who may have memory concerns; connecting with things that are meaningful can improve overall satisfaction with their lives.
Personally Meaningful Music: The Utah University of Health Journal of Prevention of Alzheimer’s disease article discussed that personally meaningful music is an alternative route for communicating with patients who have Alzheimer’s disease. It helps people find renewed meaning and connection in their lives through music that they personally identify with.
How Does Personalized Music Make a Difference?
- Beloved music helps to reduce depression and anxiety and can also moderate pain.
- Musical favorites tap deep memories and can improve quality of life.
- Participants are happier, more social, and receptive to care and family visits.
- Personalized music can help to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic, anti-depressant, and pain medications.
What is Music & Memory?
Grounded in extensive research, Music & Memory helps people living with a wide range of cognitive and physical challenges to find renewed joy in life through musical favorites. Our team is trained to develop personalized playlists, delivered through iPods, a key element in the individual’s plan of care.
Does Every Assisted Living and Memory Care offer this program?
Specialized : Not everyone offers this type of program but at New Haven we have several locations that offer music and memory. As a Music & Memory Certified Care Organization, we are proud to offer the powerful benefits of personalized music as part of our continuing effort to provide the highest quality care.
The Music and Memory program has been shown to have many positive effects such as:
- Happier and more social seniors.
- Better relationships between seniors, staff, and families.
- Calmer and more supportive social interactions.
- Fewer behavior management issues.
- And, for some, the possibility of using fewer anti-psychotic medications.
Who Can Participate?
Anyone can benefit from the power of listening to musical favorites. As we build our program, we will be able to offer it to all who are interested. Often effective for a variety of impairments and disorders:
- People with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia
- Individuals who are bed-bound, on dialysis or ventilators
- People with chronic pain
- Those receiving hospice care
New Haven offers many services to help your loved one have meaning in their lives, check out our link, https://newhavenassistedliving.com/music-and-memory and. schedule a tour with us at https://calendly.com/newhavenassistedliving and Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/newhavenassistedlivingandmemorycare